Scenario 1: PuTTY pre-configuration before DBConvert tool connection establishing
This manual describes how to configure database connection for DBConvert users who work with PuTTY SSH client. It covers only critical aspects that directly influence on connection establishment. For more information please read a complete step-by-step guide
1. You should specify the following parameters in “Session” section of “PuTTY Configuration” dialog for PuTTY tunnelling configuration:
- Host name. The name of your outer server domain or its IP address. In our example it is 192.168.0.11
- Connection type. SSH protocol must be selected.
- Port. By default port 22 is used for MySQL server connection.
- Session name. You may enter anything in this field. In our example we will use Connect_SSH as name.
2. Configure new forwarded port at "Connection/SSH/Tunnels" as shown in picture below:
- Source port. Specify inner PuTTY Source port as local one that can possess any value more than 1024. In our example we choose 2000 port.
- Destination. Input IP address of your database server (192.168.0.11) and its port (3306which is default for MySQL).
- Choose “Local” type and press “Add” button.
3. Input your login and password in PuTTY tray console when establishing SSH tunnelling. Now you can launch MySQL manager like MySQL Command Line Client, PHPMyAdmin and etc. Or DBConvert tool where localhost(127.0.0.1) as hostname and the Source port defined in previous step (2000 in our case) are pointed. On the screenshot below the window of PuTTY console is shown where login and password of SSH user registered on database server is authenticated for opening SSH tunnel.
4.At this step you should specify login and password for database user defined on remote db server in DBConvert tool. The name of SSH user and the name of database user can be the same but not always.
Scenario 2: Adjusting "SSH forwarding" options in DBConvert software.
1. If you are aware of your SSH settings (hostname, db server port, any free local port, SSH user login and password) you can adjust "SSH forwarding" options directly in DBConvert. Just click “Advanced” button and in the appeared window choose “Use SSH” to activate SSH settings. As an example illustrating SSH configuration in DBConvert we used the same parameters that were arranged in previous scenario for you could feel similarities and differences.
2. As shown in picture below you should specify login and password for database user defined on remote db server. The name of SSH user and the name of database user can be the same but not always.